Current Issues facing Australia and the world
- Corruption: Dodgy contracts for Manus with Paladin ($423m), Great Barrier Reef ($444m), Parliament House renovations ($75m),Open and Shut Christmas Island Detention($185m), Adani Mine ($Many)
- Climate Change: Use Australia’s natural advantages in wind and solar
Pumped hydro storage.
- Sustainable energy: electric cars and high speed rail.
Ban fracking and manage water better.
- Human rights including housing and liveable incomes are necessary for social justice and social harmony.
- Gonski funding for equality of educational opportunity.
- We cannot continue to import cheap labour, lowering wages, while our kids are unemployed.
- Fix Medicare so that health care is universally available without long waits for elective surgery.
- Stop Terrorism by getting out of Middle East wars.
- Enforce laws for all, including banks and international tax avoiders.
- Companies with complex tax avoidance structures should pay a ‘turnover tax’.
- Wage theft must be stopped.
- NDIS must have funding, feedback and monitoring.
- Citizen’s Initiated Referenda and Plebiscites.
Dr Arthur Opposes
- New coal-fired power
- Nuclear energy and a nuclear waste dump.
- A Nuclear facility is needed for research and medical purposes.
- Fracking and its damage to groundwater.
- Adani coal mine and other mines that damage the Barrier Reef and water table.
- Irrigation where there is a water shortage.
- Participation in Middle East wars and US troops stationed on Australian soil.
- Privatisation of our key resources.
- Current refugee policy.
- Overdevelopment without other facilities.